Skip to main content

healthy eating

Well, everything I was working toward during my last couple of posts pretty much went out the window once we moved to Albuquerque.  Quentin refuses to eat anything except for yogurt, cereal, quesadillas, bananas, and Spam.  Everything has changed since we don't go to the pavilion and our "furnished" apartment doesn't have chairs for the counter top height table, only two very small ottomans and since our torsos aren't super long we can't use the table.  We only have a booster chair for Quentin that now sits on the floor as do we around the coffee table.  

Quentin has also been cranky a lot. I'm not sure if he's just adjusting or if he's sick or teething.  The last two times we went to the grocery store he's had complete melt downs where I desperately pack him around and feed him food from the cart.  Totally unacceptable. I've started bringing cereal with me everywhere just to keep him calm.

Even though we have to eat on the floor in the living room I try to keep the tv and computers turned off so we can at least pretend we're having a normal family meal.  I'm thinking that maybe we can pick up a table and chairs at IKEA or a garage sale and then we can use it when ever we get a house since we don't have one.

I did really enjoy the article "A Parenting Recipe for Raising Healthy Eaters" a Guest Post From Sarina Behar Natkin of Grow Parenting I found on Pinterest.  It combines some things that you find in the French books with some ideas that make it a little easier to actually implement. My favorite suggestion was about getting their kids to try food.  This is key for French parenting and it totally seems easy and obvious, but Quentin is one stubborn little boy who won't try anything unless you pry his mouth open.  The author said that if the kids don't want anything being served they let them have fruit or yogurt.  They don't make their kids try anything because they don't want them to have negative ideas about certain food.  They put them on the table and they eat them in hopes that their good example will rub off on them.

I think it might be good to talk about how fun it is to try new food in addition to setting a good example.  My mom loves vegetables and was always a great example of healthy eating, but because my dad had a bad attitude about certain vegetables it gave us kids a good reason not try them (like sweet potatoes and squash, some of my favorites now).  A lot of food I never liked as a kid are now my favorites, but it took me a really long time to realize it.  Maybe that's ok.

The great thing about living in Albuquerque is the fantastic weather.  It's sunny all the time so we can go for walks a lot.  We also have three libraries within three miles and all three have story time.  We could go three times a week.  The LDS church on the West side has zumba three times a week for free and they have toys so the kids just hang out on the side (I went this morning and boy am I tired and sore! I have to watch Q because he sneaked up on me twice and I stepped on his poor little hands both times).  So we could do something every morning of the week except for Sunday.  

Quentin has been sleeping a lot better now that he has his own "room."  It's actually still a closet, but it's bigger and on the other side of the apartment.  We thought we would put him in the other bedroom, but it's really bright and noisy.  Our upstairs neighbors are pretty active and the first couple nights were tough because they kept waking him up.

I'm thinking about starting to wean Quentin.  He's definitely not showing signs of disinterest and it's not really a bother, but he's getting older and I'd like to do it before we move again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

labor & delivery

I'm finally getting around to posting my labor and delivery story.  After I got an epidural I wrote down what had happened so far and after the baby was born I wrote down the rest to make sure I remembered everything.  Since it's been two weeks of not a lot sleep and my memory of the event is somewhat drowned out with all the new mommy stuff, I'm just going to type what I wrote. February 21, 2011 - Monday We got up at abut 6 AM after a short night of lots of cramping.  I was hoping to go into labor or at least make some progress, but no luck.  I was still at 1 cm when the doctor measured me at about 8:30 am.  I got the oxytocin and a bulb to open up my cervix at about 8:45 am.   pre-pain, Nurse Lynn At first the contractions were so bad I wanted to cry and then they slowed down and it was more tolerable, but not to the point where I could walk around and I still threw up from the pain.  It got really bad at 1:10 when they gave me the Pitocin. ...

top 10 reasons I love breastfeeding

I have to preface this list with that it is MY list. Not all these things will apply to everyone.  I am aware that some women have a really hard time breastfeeding, some stick with it and some don't and they would have their own lists of why they like it or not.   Quentin and I have had a really easy time with it for whatever reason.  It's not because of anything I've done.  I do believe it is something all new moms should try.  Not like you tried it once and it didn't work out, but really truly try and get help from a lactation consultant if you need to.  It's totally worth it if you can get it to work for you.  If you decide not to for whatever reason I won't judge you.  I was bottle fed myself and I turned out just fine. 10. Bigger boobs.  I've always had really small breasts and have worn padded bras pretty much since puberty and kids made fun of small cup size.  I like how breastfeeding has made me more proportional a...

breastfeeding & weaning

Quentin has started walking!  Everyday he becomes more and more confident and walks more and more.  He's at about 50% crawling, 50% walking now.  My parents are in town and my mom commented how stable he is for just starting out. I can't really compare him to other kids since I only have the one.  I think he was just waiting until he felt completely confident. He has been eating a lot better lately.  He even ate some tilapia a couple times, but it had to be off of other people's plates for some reason.  I also started feeding him baby food again, which he gladly eats.  He likes it and it's healthy for him so I see no reason to force him to eat other food.  If he's 14 and still wants to eat baby food I guess that will be ok (he definitely wouldn't be overweight), but my guess is that he probably will give in to peer pressure before that happens. Last week he didn't want to take any morning naps, but this week he's been much more interested...