My friend Amanda brought up some good points on snacking in her comment on the last post that I feel like I should address. I don't feed Quentin any snacks right now because when I fed him snacks after he woke up from his afternoon nap he didn't eat any dinner. When he's hungry I still give him a snack, but he usually isn't because I'm still breast feeding him 4-5 times a day.
Going with the French feeding books I've been reading, French children have one snack a day at 4:30 when they get home from school. It's also usually a treat. They give their children sugar occasionally so they don't go crazy when they get the chance to eat it. What's interesting is that if they make a cake during the weekend, the kids have to wait until snack time to eat any. Or if they buy a chocolate at the store they have to wait until 4:30. They never eat while they're out and about, only at planned meal times and snack time is one of those planned meal times for children. Adults never snack.
I'm thinking a snack after school is good. In fact, I don't really have a problem with snacks, just when it interferes with meal time. When the kids are so full of crackers that they don't eat their vegetables type of thing. I hadn't really thought about snacks being a bad thing until I read these books, but it makes sense. Since it has come to my attention, I have noticed parents giving their kids snacks pretty much continually throughout the day. Of course the parents eat that way too so it's no surprise. After working full-time sitting at a computer all day I got in the bad habit of eating continually throughout the day myself. I eat when I'm bored and being here I don't have much to do while Quentin's a sleep so I've been eating a lot more frequently. I'd like to try and eat bigger meals and snack less.
I don't have any friends here in Oklahoma and my husband is either at training or studying all the time so I don't have people to bounce off my crazy ideas. Thanks for letting me say crazy stuff and keeping me grounded to reality :)
Comments