Skip to main content

postpartum

Although I haven't had issues with breastfeeding I have had issues with postpartum depression.  Initially I thought it was just the baby blues and then sleep deprivation, but after five months I figured it was actually PPD.  I haven't been depressed consistently over the past several months so I didn't seek professional help.  As soon as I would get to that point I would feel better.  I do think a lot of it has been tied to my level of tiredness which doesn't seem to necessarily correlate with the amount of sleep I get.  


After I got home from visiting my family I was really down.  I had a difficult time feeling loved and feeling love towards others.  It's really hard to be a mom feeling ambivalent at best and super sad at worst.  The worst part is having these horrible thoughts about hurting my sweet baby.  When I feel good I definitely know that it's not me, it's some weird hormonal/chemical thing going on in my brain.  I emailed my mom who had mentioned something about suffering from PPD herself and it really helped to hear her experience and know that there was an end to it.  I see that she's a great mom and that it doesn't mean I'm a bad mom.

Luckily I have felt good since then.  I was really to the point where I was going to the doctor if I didn't feel any better.  I was worried about going because I didn't want to have to take anti-depressants if it would mean stopping breastfeeding.  I started exercising not because I wanted to get in shape, but because I thought it would help me feel better emotionally.  

I don't know what causes it or what made it stop, sometimes it comes back when I'm tired, but overall I haven't had it bad like I did in July.  It has really helped me sympathize with those suffering from depression.  

Comments

Amanda said…
Know that if you need to be treated for depression, it really does not necessarily mean anti-depressants. You're on the right track with exercise. There are also other options. My recommendation, as a therapist, is to go see a therapist first THEN a psychiatrist at very last resort if you decide to seek help. The therapist isn't going to assume you need medications, while the psychiatrist looks at that as a first line of defense against depression; meds should not be the first line of defense, in my opinion. Hang in there! I know it's tough...
mj said…
Oh, I feel your pain--well not now thank goodness. But yeah it's so much easier to see looking back, huh? Hugs to you. I've read that fish oil supplements can help with mild PPD so I will definitely be taking them leading up to and following delivery for #2, so it might be something to add to the exercise if you're still feeling off (I know you have a strict diet, so if fish oil doesn't work it's really the Omega-3's I hear which are also in flax oil). In my experience I didn't feel all the way normal again until I stopped breastfeeding.
mj said…
p.s., that doesn't mean you should stop breastfeeding, but it was just an interesting phenomenon.
Unknown said…
My mom said that she only had PPD with the babies she breastfed. I think it is probably influenced somehow by the hormones needed to produce milk. I look forward to not breastfeeding for this reason, but I'm not looking forward to having to monitor what I eat. I love all the extra calories milk making burns :)

Popular posts from this blog

labor & delivery

I'm finally getting around to posting my labor and delivery story.  After I got an epidural I wrote down what had happened so far and after the baby was born I wrote down the rest to make sure I remembered everything.  Since it's been two weeks of not a lot sleep and my memory of the event is somewhat drowned out with all the new mommy stuff, I'm just going to type what I wrote. February 21, 2011 - Monday We got up at abut 6 AM after a short night of lots of cramping.  I was hoping to go into labor or at least make some progress, but no luck.  I was still at 1 cm when the doctor measured me at about 8:30 am.  I got the oxytocin and a bulb to open up my cervix at about 8:45 am.   pre-pain, Nurse Lynn At first the contractions were so bad I wanted to cry and then they slowed down and it was more tolerable, but not to the point where I could walk around and I still threw up from the pain.  It got really bad at 1:10 when they gave me the Pitocin. ...

top 10 reasons I love breastfeeding

I have to preface this list with that it is MY list. Not all these things will apply to everyone.  I am aware that some women have a really hard time breastfeeding, some stick with it and some don't and they would have their own lists of why they like it or not.   Quentin and I have had a really easy time with it for whatever reason.  It's not because of anything I've done.  I do believe it is something all new moms should try.  Not like you tried it once and it didn't work out, but really truly try and get help from a lactation consultant if you need to.  It's totally worth it if you can get it to work for you.  If you decide not to for whatever reason I won't judge you.  I was bottle fed myself and I turned out just fine. 10. Bigger boobs.  I've always had really small breasts and have worn padded bras pretty much since puberty and kids made fun of small cup size.  I like how breastfeeding has made me more proportional a...

breastfeeding & weaning

Quentin has started walking!  Everyday he becomes more and more confident and walks more and more.  He's at about 50% crawling, 50% walking now.  My parents are in town and my mom commented how stable he is for just starting out. I can't really compare him to other kids since I only have the one.  I think he was just waiting until he felt completely confident. He has been eating a lot better lately.  He even ate some tilapia a couple times, but it had to be off of other people's plates for some reason.  I also started feeding him baby food again, which he gladly eats.  He likes it and it's healthy for him so I see no reason to force him to eat other food.  If he's 14 and still wants to eat baby food I guess that will be ok (he definitely wouldn't be overweight), but my guess is that he probably will give in to peer pressure before that happens. Last week he didn't want to take any morning naps, but this week he's been much more interested...