Once when I was working for a certain political appointee at the Department of Commerce, my boss warned me against making any mistakes on his travel itinerary because it could "literally be a matter of life and death." That statement seemed so exaggerated I almost started laughing. A huge inconvenience yes, but death? Highly doubtful.
This new job of caring for an infant on the other hand really does carry moments of life or death of this precious little human I love beyond reason. It only takes one distracted moment to forget your wee one in the car on a hot day or leave he/she alone in the tub and that's it. This morning I woke up earlier than usual, before seven, and decided to check on Quentin on the monitor, assuming he'd still be asleep. To my horror he was casually sucking on the cord to the monitor. Thankfully his teeth haven't come in yet! I'm not sure how he even managed to get the wire since it was taped down. I put lots of extra tape on it so he won't be able to get to it again.
Now that he's somewhat mobile, rolling from side to side and scooting backwards, we're really going to have to start baby proofing the house, starting with all the cords! We have so many electrical devices everywhere that I never seemed to notice until now.
It seems like we're so busy all the time but nothing ever gets done. We still have packed boxes in our guest room, which we call the junk room because you can barely walk in there. Every weekend is supposed to be devoted to cleaning it up, but we end up finding some other project, like shopping for a new bed or convertible car seat now that he's almost to the 22 lbs weight limit of his infant seat.
It's so hard to get anything done when we have to stop to hold, feed, and change the baby constantly throughout the day plus feed ourselves and clean up. Now we have to add baby proofing to our to do list. I remember when I used to be so busy going to all the fun festivals around town and traveling and hanging out with friends, now I just laugh. I had no idea how time consuming a baby was going to be. Just going grocery shopping or doing laundry is an all day affair.
Comments
I agree with you 100%, you really can't take your eyes off of them for one second!
As for convertible seats, we love the Britax seats. To do over, we'd have gotten the Marathon instead of the Boulevard. They're pricey but fantastic and safe! Or, check consumerreports.org (if you don't have an account, let me know, I can look up the 3 they tested/recommend for you). :)