Skip to main content

sleep!

Good news!  Quentin has been sleeping really great at night lately.  He sleeps from 9 PM to 9 AM and gets up once around 4 AM.  It's been great!  We've been trying to get him to go from 8 PM to 8 AM, but he has so far refused to go to sleep any earlier than 9.  I'm wondering how long he would sleep if I didn't wake him up at 9 every morning.

Friday night he went to sleep at 9 PM and I woke up at 6:30 AM to discover I never heard him wake up that night.  I checked the monitor and found that the volume was turned down.  My husband had used it when he went in to check on him the night before because it's so dark in there and the camera has infra-red.  So we're not sure if he really slept through the night or not, but if he didn't he eventually soothed himself back to sleep because he slept until 9 AM when I woke him up.

His napping isn't great, which wouldn't be a problem except he is obviously tired and is ornery a lot.  It's not as easy to put him to sleep or keep him that way as it was when he was smaller and I'm at a loss as to what to do.  He can be pretty good at napping if we're out and about all day, but we don't have that many places to go during the week where we could stay out for a couple hours every day.  Even that isn't a sure thing.  I was picking up my new glasses yesterday and he woke up at the doctor's office.  The only place he's been falling asleep lately has been his jumperoo and I feel guilty leaving him in there, but when I take him out he wakes up.


I've been pumping in the morning since he's not waking up a lot at night to eat.  I'm generally pumping 5 ounces out of the full breast so I'm getting quite the supply in our freezer.  I figure that he can always drink the milk out of a sippy cup when he gets older if he doesn't drink it out of a bottle now.  Quentin has decided he doesn't really like the bottle most of the time and I've been feeding him in the mother's room at church.  I'm missing out on most of Sunday School, but I do get to meet other women feeding their babies while Q eats.  

I'm now pretty good friends with one of the women whose baby is one month younger than mine.  In fact we went over to their house for dinner one night and then Q and I went there all afternoon on a particularly hot day last week to enjoy their air conditioning.  Hopefully our A/C gets fixed today.  The electrician was supposed to come this morning to replace our thermostat, but when I called he said he'd be here this evening.  Tomorrow is supposed to be really hot and humid again so I really hope it works out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

labor & delivery

I'm finally getting around to posting my labor and delivery story.  After I got an epidural I wrote down what had happened so far and after the baby was born I wrote down the rest to make sure I remembered everything.  Since it's been two weeks of not a lot sleep and my memory of the event is somewhat drowned out with all the new mommy stuff, I'm just going to type what I wrote. February 21, 2011 - Monday We got up at abut 6 AM after a short night of lots of cramping.  I was hoping to go into labor or at least make some progress, but no luck.  I was still at 1 cm when the doctor measured me at about 8:30 am.  I got the oxytocin and a bulb to open up my cervix at about 8:45 am.   pre-pain, Nurse Lynn At first the contractions were so bad I wanted to cry and then they slowed down and it was more tolerable, but not to the point where I could walk around and I still threw up from the pain.  It got really bad at 1:10 when they gave me the Pitocin. ...

top 10 reasons I love breastfeeding

I have to preface this list with that it is MY list. Not all these things will apply to everyone.  I am aware that some women have a really hard time breastfeeding, some stick with it and some don't and they would have their own lists of why they like it or not.   Quentin and I have had a really easy time with it for whatever reason.  It's not because of anything I've done.  I do believe it is something all new moms should try.  Not like you tried it once and it didn't work out, but really truly try and get help from a lactation consultant if you need to.  It's totally worth it if you can get it to work for you.  If you decide not to for whatever reason I won't judge you.  I was bottle fed myself and I turned out just fine. 10. Bigger boobs.  I've always had really small breasts and have worn padded bras pretty much since puberty and kids made fun of small cup size.  I like how breastfeeding has made me more proportional a...

breastfeeding & weaning

Quentin has started walking!  Everyday he becomes more and more confident and walks more and more.  He's at about 50% crawling, 50% walking now.  My parents are in town and my mom commented how stable he is for just starting out. I can't really compare him to other kids since I only have the one.  I think he was just waiting until he felt completely confident. He has been eating a lot better lately.  He even ate some tilapia a couple times, but it had to be off of other people's plates for some reason.  I also started feeding him baby food again, which he gladly eats.  He likes it and it's healthy for him so I see no reason to force him to eat other food.  If he's 14 and still wants to eat baby food I guess that will be ok (he definitely wouldn't be overweight), but my guess is that he probably will give in to peer pressure before that happens. Last week he didn't want to take any morning naps, but this week he's been much more interested...