Skip to main content

2 month appointment

Yesterday we went to Quentin's two month pediatric appointment.  After having some issues with the family practice billing we decided to try the pediatric practice we were thinking about going to.  Even though they eventually conceded in our billing issue I decided to check out the other place because I wanted someone who specialized in children.  Our old doctor never mentioned anything about giving our baby vitamin D drops and I felt like there might be other things she might not think about telling me and she probably doesn't read up on all the new baby information.  

So we went to the new place and our doctor is one of the top pediatricians in our area.  It's a big practice, but as long as you make the appointment way in advance you can get the doctor of your choice.  Even though Q had to get a couple shots, it was a pretty good experience.  The doctor seemed very competent and brought up things the other doctor never did, like making sure foreskin didn't grow back requiring another circumcision and how to clean that area.  

They also gave us all his stats with the percentiles and a sheet with information about what he should be doing and what we should be doing which is very helpful.  They are open from 6 AM-8 PM which is really nice, and they have a nurse available to answer your questions from 7 AM-7 PM.   I thought it would be crazy with all those doctors and patients, but it was actually a very calm experience and I was nervous about Q getting the shots so it could have been worse.  Q was very calm with the doctor too, which he wasn't always with the old one.

Last evening wasn't too much fun.  Quentin's legs were hurting and he cried like I've never heard him cry, and he's cried pretty loudly while trying to go to sleep.  I had to hold him all evening to try and comfort him.  We gave him some Tylenol and he slept pretty well.  I thought the worst part would have been actually getting the shots but it was much worse later on.

Comments

Sara said…
OMG! I can't believe they did not tell you about the drops! If you are exclusively breastfeeding you have to give the baby that. We also got percentile information, to see where Olivia is. It sounds like you made the right decision to switch. I know shots are the worst! Just want until he gets to 12 months there are 3 or 4 at that!
Amanda said…
My pediatrician did not tell us we had to do the Vitamin D drops, even when we asked, and our daughter was exclusively breastfed until 13 months. He said it was not necessary. I think there is a lot of variance between what doctors feel is important based on the stuff they've learned through conferences, etc. I definitely feel more confident having my little one seen by a pediatrician instead of a family practice and sounds like you feel like you made the right switch. Hopefully the rest of his shots go better. Saoirse had a rough time with her first round but then after that, they've basically been a piece of cake!

Popular posts from this blog

labor & delivery

I'm finally getting around to posting my labor and delivery story.  After I got an epidural I wrote down what had happened so far and after the baby was born I wrote down the rest to make sure I remembered everything.  Since it's been two weeks of not a lot sleep and my memory of the event is somewhat drowned out with all the new mommy stuff, I'm just going to type what I wrote. February 21, 2011 - Monday We got up at abut 6 AM after a short night of lots of cramping.  I was hoping to go into labor or at least make some progress, but no luck.  I was still at 1 cm when the doctor measured me at about 8:30 am.  I got the oxytocin and a bulb to open up my cervix at about 8:45 am.   pre-pain, Nurse Lynn At first the contractions were so bad I wanted to cry and then they slowed down and it was more tolerable, but not to the point where I could walk around and I still threw up from the pain.  It got really bad at 1:10 when they gave me the Pitocin. ...

top 10 reasons I love breastfeeding

I have to preface this list with that it is MY list. Not all these things will apply to everyone.  I am aware that some women have a really hard time breastfeeding, some stick with it and some don't and they would have their own lists of why they like it or not.   Quentin and I have had a really easy time with it for whatever reason.  It's not because of anything I've done.  I do believe it is something all new moms should try.  Not like you tried it once and it didn't work out, but really truly try and get help from a lactation consultant if you need to.  It's totally worth it if you can get it to work for you.  If you decide not to for whatever reason I won't judge you.  I was bottle fed myself and I turned out just fine. 10. Bigger boobs.  I've always had really small breasts and have worn padded bras pretty much since puberty and kids made fun of small cup size.  I like how breastfeeding has made me more proportional a...

breastfeeding & weaning

Quentin has started walking!  Everyday he becomes more and more confident and walks more and more.  He's at about 50% crawling, 50% walking now.  My parents are in town and my mom commented how stable he is for just starting out. I can't really compare him to other kids since I only have the one.  I think he was just waiting until he felt completely confident. He has been eating a lot better lately.  He even ate some tilapia a couple times, but it had to be off of other people's plates for some reason.  I also started feeding him baby food again, which he gladly eats.  He likes it and it's healthy for him so I see no reason to force him to eat other food.  If he's 14 and still wants to eat baby food I guess that will be ok (he definitely wouldn't be overweight), but my guess is that he probably will give in to peer pressure before that happens. Last week he didn't want to take any morning naps, but this week he's been much more interested...