So the baby countdown continues. I just keep saying a couple more weeks regardless of what day it is so I'm disappointed when the due date rolls on by next week. Things are going pretty good with the pregnancy. I'm feeling much better now that I've been telecommuting twice a week. It has really lessened all of my symptoms. I've been lucky in that once something comes up, like a sciatic nerve problem in my back, and I think there is no way I can survive another x weeks with this, it eventually goes away or becomes less of a problem.
My pain-in-the-butt symptom this week is my nose. It has actually been a problem my entire life, but even more so now. I was convinced that I had a cold a couple days ago, but now I'm not so sure. During the day my nose runs and runs, I have to blow it a million times a day. Then, like clock work, around 4-5:00 pm my nose gets plugged up to the point I have to breath out of my mouth. There's nothing to blow out so I'm assuming it's a sinus thing.
I can usually suffer through it until it's time to go to bed. I can't sleep with my mouth guard and a stuffy nose, it's impossible. So I've been relying on my trusty nasal spray - don't judge - and propping myself up with a couple pillows. This works about half the night, which is a total mystery since it is 12-hour nasal spray. I wake up a few times during the night to try and make myself comfortable. Funny how your body seems to sense the upcoming sleep deprivation and refuses to get a good night's sleep despite your best attempts.
It is during my nightly bathroom breaks that I see the little bed by mine and think about how there will be a little baby who I will be responsible for feeding and changing and overall keeping alive in just a few short weeks. He will be waking up right there by my bed and wanting me to make him comfortable. Isn't that what moms are for? To comfort us?
I go from really wanting this baby out to nervous about the whole thing. It seems very daunting and I feel very unprepared to do any of it. To cover for my lack of competence in actually delivering and caring for my new baby, I buy things for him with our many gift cards. I know how to shop and I can organize things and it makes me feel like I'm getting prepared even though I know I probably won't use half of the stuff we have. It's there just in case I need it and it's nicely organized at that.
We finally decided to watch the rest of the birthing videos by Wednesday (tomorrow) since we have our doctor's appointment in the morning and I want to be able to ask any questions we have. I've watched a lot of "A Baby Story" on TLC lately and it seems like they always do the directive pushing vs. laboring down, which I didn't even know was an option. The woman on the video says that laboring down is better and it makes sense to me that you should go with the flow of your body. I'm curious to see what my doctor has to say about that and sitting up while pushing.
Since I have no idea what I'll want to do during labor I'm leaving my birthing plan open ended. I'm sort of planning on having an epidural, but we'll see how it goes when I get it or if I do. Who knows. Luckily my doctor is pretty realistic and not quick to introduce medical interventions so I think I'll be ok. I've been trying to inform myself on my options so that when the time comes I can make a good decision for myself and not to be too tied to any certain delivery method so I'm not disappointed with the process if plans change.
We haven't made much headway on the condo. We thought we had when the papers came back from the seller for us to sign and send back to them for the final ratification yesterday. As we were going over the agreement with our real estate agent he mentioned that the seller was refusing to cover any outstanding condo fees - if there were any. This concerned me because I'm sure if someone had enough money issues not to pay their mortgage to the point of foreclosure, they haven't been paying their condo fees.
The agent said that during the foreclosure those fees would have been taken care of and it should only be the fees that the bank hasn't been paying, which would be around $1300. He said he would check with the other agent to see if there were any fees. About an hour later he called to tell us that they owed $9600 in back condo fees. There's no way we can buy the condo for an extra $10k. Plus it's just wrong to make us pay for someone else's bills. They haven't been paying their fees in over a year. Can you imagine if we had gone through with the purchase without flagging this and then been responsible for paying $10k in fees? Our agent's inexperience is starting to show through and I keep saying how lucky it is that we asked about it. I can't get over the fact that it's $9600!
Our agent is going to find out more information and we can put in a counter offer saying that the seller has to pay the fees. If they don't accept then we can get out of it and look for another place. Last night my husband was already on-line looking at other condos and found some nice ones for about the same price or less. They don't have the third bedroom or are right next to the metro, but some are already remodeled so that would save us a bundle and we don't really need a third bedroom. I feel like it will all work out some how.
UPDATE: Our agent called and confirmed that the seller will pay for all outstanding condo fees up until closing and we can move ahead with the inspection on Saturday. Yay!
UPDATE: Our agent called and confirmed that the seller will pay for all outstanding condo fees up until closing and we can move ahead with the inspection on Saturday. Yay!
Comments
After six weeks of birth classes, we've learned a lot about "traditional" (read: American hospital-run) births versus what actually comes natural to mothers all over the world and it's kind of amazing.
I'm not going to get all up in your business (every mother is different in what she wants for her birth experience). But I will say that it's up to you to own it.
What I mean is that it's not up to your doctor whether you sit, stand, walk around, lean against a wall, or hug an exercise ball while delivering. It's up to you and whatever feels best for you.
Sitting back in a bed with your legs up in the air (ala what we all see in movies and on television) can actually be one of the least comfortable and most challenging ways to have a baby. It's an easy position for the doctors and nurses and that's the only reason it's so common.
It's your birth. Do whatever you want. OK, I'll climb down off my soapbox now ;)
Best to you,
Jack
As far as being unprepared - I still feel unprepared from time to time and my little one will be 18 months next week! It's part of being a mommy - we don't have all the answers. And even when we think we do, we find out that baby now likes something new and we have to learn yet another way of taking care of baby (all without the baby really verbalizing any of it). It's overwhelming and daunting. It gets easier and your instincts about what *your* baby needs will kick in sooner than you think!
I'm so glad you're able to view the aches and pains, etc. as part of growing your little one and being all part of the "means to the end", so to speak. With the cramping legs, etc. - mild exercise and apparently magnesium (talk to your doctor) can help. Also just stretching out your legs daily can help.
Good luck, Tiffany! Soon you'll have a sweet baby to love on! :)
I wanted specific things, so my birth plan was pretty detailed. But at the same time, it sounds like Tiffany and her doc have a good relationship and are on the same page in regard to the birth she wants.