Skip to main content

appointments, crafts, and nursery

This morning we went to my OB appointment and I had to drink that awful syrupy stuff for the gestational diabetes test.  I felt nauseous all the way over and afterwards I got really tired, crashing from the sugar high.  When the doctor checked Beanie's heartbeat it was really fast.  She said that it was probably due to the drink. 

I don't feel good, so I'm sure that Beanie doesn't feel well either and that makes me sad and it's hard not to cry when I feel sad but I've managed to keep back the tears.  Maybe he'll just sleep and feel better later.  The thought of my little baby not feeling well due to all the sugar I eat makes me want to eat better for him.  I even ordered vegetable soup for lunch, that's what kind of mom I am :)

Our doctor said that starting in two weeks I need to start keeping track of the baby's movements.  He needs to kick/move 10 times in two hours everyday, generally after dinner, otherwise I have to call the doctor to make sure he's ok.  We also have to find a Pediatrician within the next month and are going to start having appointments every two weeks now, so I'll be in to see her in two weeks instead of four.  My husband made all my appointments through January already.  He's good at making appointments so he usually does it for me while I'm getting some test done.

This weekend was pretty low key since my husband had his Air Force Reserves training this weekend.  I spent all of Friday night at a big craft night that the women's organization for our church puts on every year.  I decided to make finger puppets (12 of them), a plastic bag holder, and magnets.  I sort of made two of the finger puppets and then went to a photography class.  I spent the rest of the evening breaking and trying to fix sewing machines while trying to make my plastic bag holder.  I made the magnets at home on Saturday, but the finger puppets are still waiting to be put together.  I figure Beanie won't really be interested in finger puppets for another year so I have time.  It was fun talking to all the other pregnant women and those with new babies. 

Saturday I went with my friend Sara to her baby's Gymboree class.  I'm used to being around toddlers and these babies were all about 8-9 months old so it was fun to see their stage of development.  Gymboree gives parents some ideas about how to help their children crawl or move, things they can practice at home, but it's a little too much stimulus for a baby to really concentrate and have motivation to do it there.  It might be more fun for the baby once s/he is a little older.  That was the impression I got anyway.

Saturday night we went to the Alexandria Symphony Orchestra concert which was fun.  Beanie was moving around a little bit so I knew he was awake.  I wonder what he thought of all that music :)

On Sunday, I was busy with Nursery at church, like usual.  It's always a bummer when my husband can't be there to help me and this week my co-coordinator wasn't there either, nor was the girl who usually does the music.  So I was REALLY busy this week.  Luckily the kids who were crying calmed right down when we got the bubbles out, (this does not always happen, esp with the two kids that were there who I have had to take to their parents before).  Whoever invented bubbles was a genius!  Heavenly Father was really looking out...this made my life much easier as I had to go around and sing songs with all four nurseries. 

Nursery has really helped my ability to interact with toddlers.  I'm getting much better at it and I really like it.  I don't like all the managing and setting up, etc I have to do, but I do like the kids.  I'd love to be a nursery leader again or even a music leader...much more fun and less stressful!

Comments

Amanda said…
Good luck with finding a pediatrician. Don't be afraid to interview them. We got a recommendation from our neighbors but when we got there, he was old and nearing retirement. We liked him but want someone who will be around for the "long-haul". Ours is great - he has a very similar lifestyle as ours (active outdoors) so he has been able to give us good input on how to make jogging with a 6 week old safe when most docs won't recommend it 'til 6 months!

It's interesting that your doc wants you to actually count the movements. Mine wanted to be sure she was regularly kicking but didn't encourage me to actually count. Saoirse was a mover and shaker though...I rarely worried about her not moving. Some poking/prodding once she was "older" gestationally would get her moving if I was ever worried. :)
Sara said…
We do Gymboree to have Olivia around other babies and to become social. Sure you can practice the techniques at home but with us is just us. I want her to be around other babies and listen to music and play around on their equipment. I do not think the class is better for older babies. They have classes for 0-6 months, 6-10 months, 10-15 months etc. Each level is different and appropriate to what they should do and interact with each other.
Jack said…
Hi Tiff,

Thanks for the nice comment on my blog. I'll be sure to add yours to my reader. Kind of cool to have some old friends either pregnant or having just had babies;)

I'm no expert by any means, but I have to agree with Amanda that it seems crazy (well, she said "interesting," but I'm going with "crazy") that your doc was so particular about counting the number of times the baby moves in two hours. Seems to me like that just opens you up to unnecessary panic and stress if the little Beanie happens to be chillin' for a while.

Anyway, hope all is well!

Jack

Popular posts from this blog

labor & delivery

I'm finally getting around to posting my labor and delivery story.  After I got an epidural I wrote down what had happened so far and after the baby was born I wrote down the rest to make sure I remembered everything.  Since it's been two weeks of not a lot sleep and my memory of the event is somewhat drowned out with all the new mommy stuff, I'm just going to type what I wrote. February 21, 2011 - Monday We got up at abut 6 AM after a short night of lots of cramping.  I was hoping to go into labor or at least make some progress, but no luck.  I was still at 1 cm when the doctor measured me at about 8:30 am.  I got the oxytocin and a bulb to open up my cervix at about 8:45 am.   pre-pain, Nurse Lynn At first the contractions were so bad I wanted to cry and then they slowed down and it was more tolerable, but not to the point where I could walk around and I still threw up from the pain.  It got really bad at 1:10 when they gave me the Pitocin. ...

top 10 reasons I love breastfeeding

I have to preface this list with that it is MY list. Not all these things will apply to everyone.  I am aware that some women have a really hard time breastfeeding, some stick with it and some don't and they would have their own lists of why they like it or not.   Quentin and I have had a really easy time with it for whatever reason.  It's not because of anything I've done.  I do believe it is something all new moms should try.  Not like you tried it once and it didn't work out, but really truly try and get help from a lactation consultant if you need to.  It's totally worth it if you can get it to work for you.  If you decide not to for whatever reason I won't judge you.  I was bottle fed myself and I turned out just fine. 10. Bigger boobs.  I've always had really small breasts and have worn padded bras pretty much since puberty and kids made fun of small cup size.  I like how breastfeeding has made me more proportional a...

breastfeeding & weaning

Quentin has started walking!  Everyday he becomes more and more confident and walks more and more.  He's at about 50% crawling, 50% walking now.  My parents are in town and my mom commented how stable he is for just starting out. I can't really compare him to other kids since I only have the one.  I think he was just waiting until he felt completely confident. He has been eating a lot better lately.  He even ate some tilapia a couple times, but it had to be off of other people's plates for some reason.  I also started feeding him baby food again, which he gladly eats.  He likes it and it's healthy for him so I see no reason to force him to eat other food.  If he's 14 and still wants to eat baby food I guess that will be ok (he definitely wouldn't be overweight), but my guess is that he probably will give in to peer pressure before that happens. Last week he didn't want to take any morning naps, but this week he's been much more interested...