I finally had the chance to tell my boss about the baby this morning. He was working from home Friday, Monday was a holiday, and he was gone to a retreat all day on Tuesday. I told him that my husband and I are expecting our first child in February. That was about it for my end of the conversation. He took over from there, as he usually does. He has a lot to say on any given topic and since his daughter is 8 months pregnant he has a lot to say about his new grand baby. I now know a lot about that baby and his/her mother (they have decided to be surprised on the gender and to wait to name the baby -- of course it's hard to name a baby if you don't know the gender). Then his wife called so I left.
No questions about whether or not I plan to come back after the baby's born or anything about maternity leave. Not even a "how are you feeling?" to try and decipher how this would affect my work. He seemed happy about it, it definitely wasn't a bad thing and asked if we were going to find out the sex. So it went somewhat how I expected. I figured I'd throw it out there and then he would talk, but I really thought he'd ask me about returning to work since I figured that's what bosses did. Of course when I had my interview with him he never asked me any of the normal questions, just if I knew this or that person at my then current position where he used to work. It's a big agency so I only knew a couple of the people he did so I wasn't sure if I had passed or not. I guess he's not a very traditional boss that way.
So with that weight off my shoulders I'm much happier today. I no longer have to try to disguise Little Bean, it's getting really hard. Yesterday one of my other coworkers asked if I was pregnant. I was pretty sure she already knew because I'm Facebook friends with a girl she works with closely so I wasn't surprised.
I read yet another tragic story about a woman losing her baby, this time at 36 weeks. It was a good story, but very sad and now I'm super paranoid that something will happen to Little Bean. Every little twinge freaks me out. I keep telling myself that these women are in the minority, most pregnancies turn out just fine and I really do feel that everything will be ok with mine. It's like watching a horror movie, these stories scare me.
Last night I finally tried out one of my prenatal yoga videos. It was good to stretch and use my muscles. Maybe I'll do it again sometime :)
Comments
I'm glad it went well telling your boss. My boss' first question was when I was going to leave on maternity leave and how long I'd take off. It was so disorienting because I had no idea how long I *could* take off, whether I'd come back, and no clue when I'd feel like stopping work. Your boss is a saint! :)