Skip to main content

bladder pains

I've been trying really hard to sleep on my side at night and I try to wedge myself between my snoogle and my husband as much as possible.  I generally end up back on my back though.  On Saturday night laying on my side became really uncomfortable.  I had this general discomfort/pain in my lower abdomen which is always scary for a pregnant woman.  It seemed like it was less of a uteral problem and more of an issue with my bladder, but emptying it didn't make things better and hardly and urine came out. 

Sunday after our long afternoon nap, I decided to do some research on what it could be since I still had this uncomfortable feeling below my baby bump and while urinating.  I looked up "15 weeks pregnant symptoms" on google and it came up with an article with a list of things to expect at 15 weeks along, one of which was a urinary tract infection.  I hadn't thought about that, but after reading the description, I was pretty sure I had a bladder infection.  All the articles I read on UTIs said that you really need to go to the doctor as soon as possible if you suspect you have one and are pregnant because it could easily lead to a kidney infection and possibly a miscarriage.

I felt the same pain and discomfort that night and then called my doctor's office as soon as they opened up on Monday morning.  Luckily I was able to snag an appointment due to a cancellation and the timing couldn't have been better for getting a ride with my husband in between his job and school.  My doctor had me pee in a cup and gave me a prescription for some anti-biotics.  We were able to hear the baby's heartbeat, which is always a treat -- still pumping away.

I have been feeling nauseous again and threw up my dinner right before bed again.  I'm assuming I absorbed at least some of the anti-biotics because my urine has turned neon yellow, which is one of the side effects listed on the bottle.

So I'm supposed to start feeling better in 1-3 days.  I'm really looking forward to not being in pain.  One of the joys of pregnancy I suppose. 

Doctor's appointment = $40
Medication = $5
Hearing the baby's heartbeat = priceless

Seriously I'm going to start working out after I feel better...

In other news, I am unable to button up the majority of my pants.  I've decided to let my boss know about Little Bean this Friday morning.  He has a big presentation on Thursday and everyone is always in a better mood on Friday.  My goal is to keep it light and happy and not make it seem like some big problem.  Since I don't know for sure what my plan will be post delivery as far as work goes, I'm just going to say that I'm planning on taking maternity leave and coming back until I decide otherwise.  We'll see if my husband hears back from the FAA and if I know for sure I'm not going to need a job after the baby's born before saying otherwise.

I'm excited not to feel like I have to hide the pregnancy anymore at work and to wear whatever comfortable clothes I want.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

labor & delivery

I'm finally getting around to posting my labor and delivery story.  After I got an epidural I wrote down what had happened so far and after the baby was born I wrote down the rest to make sure I remembered everything.  Since it's been two weeks of not a lot sleep and my memory of the event is somewhat drowned out with all the new mommy stuff, I'm just going to type what I wrote. February 21, 2011 - Monday We got up at abut 6 AM after a short night of lots of cramping.  I was hoping to go into labor or at least make some progress, but no luck.  I was still at 1 cm when the doctor measured me at about 8:30 am.  I got the oxytocin and a bulb to open up my cervix at about 8:45 am.   pre-pain, Nurse Lynn At first the contractions were so bad I wanted to cry and then they slowed down and it was more tolerable, but not to the point where I could walk around and I still threw up from the pain.  It got really bad at 1:10 when they gave me the Pitocin. ...

top 10 reasons I love breastfeeding

I have to preface this list with that it is MY list. Not all these things will apply to everyone.  I am aware that some women have a really hard time breastfeeding, some stick with it and some don't and they would have their own lists of why they like it or not.   Quentin and I have had a really easy time with it for whatever reason.  It's not because of anything I've done.  I do believe it is something all new moms should try.  Not like you tried it once and it didn't work out, but really truly try and get help from a lactation consultant if you need to.  It's totally worth it if you can get it to work for you.  If you decide not to for whatever reason I won't judge you.  I was bottle fed myself and I turned out just fine. 10. Bigger boobs.  I've always had really small breasts and have worn padded bras pretty much since puberty and kids made fun of small cup size.  I like how breastfeeding has made me more proportional a...

breastfeeding & weaning

Quentin has started walking!  Everyday he becomes more and more confident and walks more and more.  He's at about 50% crawling, 50% walking now.  My parents are in town and my mom commented how stable he is for just starting out. I can't really compare him to other kids since I only have the one.  I think he was just waiting until he felt completely confident. He has been eating a lot better lately.  He even ate some tilapia a couple times, but it had to be off of other people's plates for some reason.  I also started feeding him baby food again, which he gladly eats.  He likes it and it's healthy for him so I see no reason to force him to eat other food.  If he's 14 and still wants to eat baby food I guess that will be ok (he definitely wouldn't be overweight), but my guess is that he probably will give in to peer pressure before that happens. Last week he didn't want to take any morning naps, but this week he's been much more interested...