This morning I didn't get up with Quentin at 5 am like I have been every morning for the past couple of weeks. I heard him wake up but decided not to get him unless he started crying. He ended up falling back to sleep and it was so nice to get a couple extra hours of sleep.
I've been worried that he hasn't been getting enough food. I've been feeding him solids twice a day but yesterday I upped it to three times. Like usual, he hasn't been napping and is totally exhausted by 6 pm and ends up falling asleep without eating much. I try and wake him up, but it doesn't always work. So I got out my "Contented Little Baby Book" again since I finally found it after the move, and I'm trying to get him on a schedule. Waking up at 7, napping at 9 and 12:00. He already goes to bed by 7. It's going ok. I feel better about my ability to parent, things seem more in control and I stay on top of things before they get bad. He's much happier when he has enough food and sleep.
The thing I'm having trouble with is that it says to feed him on both beasts in the morning followed by solid food. That's a lot of food, well maybe it wouldn't be so much if I didn't nurse him again when he went down for his nap. Maybe I'll nurse him on one side and feed him solids then feed him on the other side for nap time. I'm still feeding him to put him to sleep. I sort of gave up on putting him to bed on his own. He's so attached to nursing I know it's going to be tough to wean him. Luckily we have some time.
We've been getting out a lot more and having play dates, which is good for both of us. He's a social guy and loves to be around other kids. The adults still scare him sometimes, especially the ladies at the grocery store who want to say hi.
I've been making Quentin's food, which isn't bad. It's nice knowing that he isn't eating preservatives and learning about child nutrition, but mostly it's because it's so expensive to buy. I've made him oatmeal, carrots, bananas, corn, and summer squash. I really want to get a potato ricer and a steamer of some sort. Sometimes the Magic Bullet doesn't get all the chunks plus the noise scares Quentin. I can't do it when he's sleeping (I've tried it) because it wakes him up and that's worse than having him cry because of the noise.
Luckily Quentin has been eating his solids like a champ. Sometimes he's tired or not really hungry and those times it can be tough to get him to eat, but in general he has done really well, for which I am eternally grateful. It takes way too much energy to fight him to get him to do things.
Comments
I'm also glad solids are going well. Sounds like you're following his cues with what he likes/wants. I read somewhere baby's taste buds change every 3 days...wow! :) My youngest (so far) has not refused anything we've fed her with regards to solids. I think she's just happy to have something solid on her tummy instead of just milk! :) I'll have to get some tips from you on making food - I want to do what once we figure out what she likes/doesn't before I go making a lot of food that she ends up hating. :)