Skip to main content

stress

It's funny how the things we struggle with the most are the things we end up being subject matter experts on.  I have been fortunate not to have any problems with breast feeding besides having too much milk so I don't actually know that much about it.  My friends who are new moms have come to me for suggestions for their low supply issues and I have learned a little bit from their experiences, but really since I haven't had that issue I don't know anything besides some of it is stress and that milk making cookies seem to work.

[Update: I really didn't explain myself very well in this section.  Two of my friends who saw lactation consultants both said that their low supply issues were partly caused by stress.  This was the first time I had heard of any breastfeeding issue being stress induced and it really surprised me.  I don't believe all or even most breastfeeding issues are stress induced and anyone having any issue feeding their baby should see a lactation consultant.]

I believe that part of my success with my supply was because I was convinced that it would be easy for me despite all the warnings to the contrary.  A lot of women I spoke to before hand warned me that it was painful and difficult, but my mother didn't really have any issues breast feeding so I figured I wouldn't either.  Perhaps these warnings that are meant to be helpful actually hurt some women because they are stressed out about it before the baby is even born.  Or maybe not.  It's just an idea.

[Update: Don't worry, this theory probably isn't true.  I'm just wondering if women being stressed out about breastfeeding because of the stories they've heard before giving birth affect their supply.  My mom was the only one who didn't seem to have had a problem breastfeeding that I spoke to before giving birth.  I've heard some pregnant women say that breastfeeding is their number one fear about having a baby.]

Becoming a parent really does change you.  I think it's the added responsibility.  We both seem a bit weighed down sometimes.  I with the constant on the job feeling of taking care of a baby 24/7 that leaves me never really able to relax as I am always listening and worrying just a little.  My husband is weighed down with the responsibility of providing for his little family and having a new and very stressful job.  He works a lot more than the average bureaucrat and worries about getting all his work done a lot.  I think it's this responsibility that really makes you age.  

Everything is shaped by this new load you take on as a parent.  It has definitely affected our relationship which has had to adapt to this new dynamic in our house.  It's not just us anymore.  I try to put Quentin to bed pretty early, but some nights he gets up several times (all before we go to bed thank heavens) and I end up spending most of the evening feeding him in his room.  This leaves very little time for my husband and I to hang out.  Even when we are alone there are many business type decisions to be made and things to do that take up our time.  Some days you really have to work at prioritizing your relationship with all the busyness.  

Quentin has been growing and changing so much lately.  I can't believe he's almost 1/2 year old!!  He can roll from his back to his stomach and sometimes from his stomach to his back.  He plays peek-a-boo and cries when we take away his washcloth we let him play with during bath time.  I'm already getting nervous about him becoming a toddler.  I'm pretty sure he's teething.  There are white spots on his gums right were his two front bottom teeth should be.  He can also stand up with balancing help, which is new.  He's getting stronger everyday.  We also cut his hair while he was in the tub.  It looks pretty good.  It looks better, but it would be good if we new something about cutting hair and he didn't move around so much.


Comments

Janey said…
Ouch! Please oh please don't repeat that idea to anyone who is having troubles breastfeeding! I thought it would be a piece of cake for me, and it turned out to be the longest, most difficult 6 months of trauma before my issues got worked out (and then I breastfed until my baby was 19 months). I saw specialists, surgeons, and my case went nation-wide to different doctors. The most painful things I heard included "Well, what are you doing wrong?" or "What is the baby doing wrong?" or "If the baby has a good latch, you shouldn't be having those issues." I'm pretty sure the 10 lactation specialists on my case would have figured those things out right away if that were the case, and it was so painful to feel judged and like it was a simple "mistake" or even "attitude" on my part.

I know mothers are quick to rely on their own experiences, myself included, but especially for something as personal and sensitive as breastfeeding I hope EVERY mother can simply show LOVE, SYMPATHY, and CONCERN & CARE about anything that has to do with breastfeeding.

I hope that doesn't sound mean, I just feel like I have to get my thoughts out there for the moms that want to cry every time they hear that! :)

Also, thanks for the link to the cookies, they look healthy and delicious even for the non-breastfeeding mamas!
Amanda said…
I've been able to successfully (so far) breast feed both my children. With my first, it was hard. Like really hard at first. My arms were numb from carpal tunnel (pregnancy induced), so holding her up in a cross cradle (the only way she'd really latch) was super painful/difficult. Finally, we got our issues worked out and she was nursed until 13 months.

So when my second came along, I figured it'd be a piece of cake since I'd done it before and had worked out issues with my first so I was "seasoned". Right? Wrong. I had some issues nursing my second in the first several weeks. I have cried. A LOT. Had to take a breast out of commission and pump only for a few days due to bleeding (severe bleeding and this was with "prepping" them with lanolin for 3-4 weeks prior to delivery).

I think some women and babies just have it easy from the start. Some have some mild problems (both mine I'd consider mild). Some have very severe issues. I don't think this has much to do with their mentality going in. I knew there was no other option for me, despite my mom having issues nursing me and my hubby's mom swearing my children would have issues because my hubby did when he was a baby. I didn't let their difficulties become a cause for concern/fear/stress for me. I'm an individual as are my babies so therefore, our experience as a team may be (and has been) different.

I agree, don't pass this theory along to people who are struggling with breastfeeding. Simply encourage them to seek out the assistance they need so that they can be a good team with their baby.

I hope you are able to find some time with your hubby. I know how difficult it is to balance everything and still feel like you have a good relationship with your husband at the end of the day!
Unknown said…
I didn't mean that stress is the root of all breast-feeding problems by any means. In fact it was my friends' lactation consultants who said that stress hurts SUPPLY. I was just thinking that maybe these women might be stressed out about breastfeeding before they have the baby and that could hurt their supply. By no means do I think breastfeeding issues are all mental, in fact I was really surprised when two separate friends both said that their supply issues were partly stress induced. I am definitely all about seeking advice from lactation consultants and have suggested it to friends who have sought my advice because I don't know anything about having issues with breastfeeding myself. I feel for all women who struggle to feed their babies and I think it's good to go into breastfeeding knowing that there might be issues, but also that there might not and don't get stressed out about it before you deliever.
mj said…
Not that you need to be told again, but I wholeheartedly agree with the other two that there's lots more going on than the power of positive vs. negative thinking. I too thought I would have no issues but then had most of the issues you can have.

But moving on to the stress of caring for a baby and finding time for anything else. It does get easier with time. But slowly. I think it's so important when you and hubs do have a minute to really listen to each other and find out what one thing you can each do to help the other. A little bit of communication and service goes a long way. It's like the little bit you need to keep hanging in there. Some day it will be different AND your baby who you love so much now will get more and more FUN to hang out with! That's probably about when you'll be ready to have a #2! Good luck to you and your fam.

Popular posts from this blog

labor & delivery

I'm finally getting around to posting my labor and delivery story.  After I got an epidural I wrote down what had happened so far and after the baby was born I wrote down the rest to make sure I remembered everything.  Since it's been two weeks of not a lot sleep and my memory of the event is somewhat drowned out with all the new mommy stuff, I'm just going to type what I wrote. February 21, 2011 - Monday We got up at abut 6 AM after a short night of lots of cramping.  I was hoping to go into labor or at least make some progress, but no luck.  I was still at 1 cm when the doctor measured me at about 8:30 am.  I got the oxytocin and a bulb to open up my cervix at about 8:45 am.   pre-pain, Nurse Lynn At first the contractions were so bad I wanted to cry and then they slowed down and it was more tolerable, but not to the point where I could walk around and I still threw up from the pain.  It got really bad at 1:10 when they gave me the Pitocin. ...

top 10 reasons I love breastfeeding

I have to preface this list with that it is MY list. Not all these things will apply to everyone.  I am aware that some women have a really hard time breastfeeding, some stick with it and some don't and they would have their own lists of why they like it or not.   Quentin and I have had a really easy time with it for whatever reason.  It's not because of anything I've done.  I do believe it is something all new moms should try.  Not like you tried it once and it didn't work out, but really truly try and get help from a lactation consultant if you need to.  It's totally worth it if you can get it to work for you.  If you decide not to for whatever reason I won't judge you.  I was bottle fed myself and I turned out just fine. 10. Bigger boobs.  I've always had really small breasts and have worn padded bras pretty much since puberty and kids made fun of small cup size.  I like how breastfeeding has made me more proportional a...

breastfeeding & weaning

Quentin has started walking!  Everyday he becomes more and more confident and walks more and more.  He's at about 50% crawling, 50% walking now.  My parents are in town and my mom commented how stable he is for just starting out. I can't really compare him to other kids since I only have the one.  I think he was just waiting until he felt completely confident. He has been eating a lot better lately.  He even ate some tilapia a couple times, but it had to be off of other people's plates for some reason.  I also started feeding him baby food again, which he gladly eats.  He likes it and it's healthy for him so I see no reason to force him to eat other food.  If he's 14 and still wants to eat baby food I guess that will be ok (he definitely wouldn't be overweight), but my guess is that he probably will give in to peer pressure before that happens. Last week he didn't want to take any morning naps, but this week he's been much more interested...