Quentin and I made our trip to Wyoming to visit my family. I was really nervous about flying with a baby by myself, but it all worked out. I was supposed to be picked up by my dad and we were going to spend the first couple nights with him and then my mom would pick us up and take us to my hometown. The night before we were to fly out I texted my dad to make sure we were on track for him to pick us up the next night. It was lucky I did because he had mixed up the dates and was in Texas for the week. My mom was able to pick us up and I rearranged our schedule so we visited my dad the next weekend.
This ended up being good for flying because my mom has a car seat so I didn't have to bring one on the plane. Instead I packed Quentin in the baby carrier and only had the diaper bag on the plane with me, everything else was in my checked luggage. Our flight was delayed by an hour due to mechanical issues so when I went to check in I asked if I could get my luggage fee waived because that hour was going to put us in Wyoming at 1:30 am instead of 12:30 am which is a big difference. It was nice not having to pay that extra fee.
Quentin was good on the plane. I nursed him during take off and landing so it wouldn't bother his ears and he didn't have any problems. He slept in the carrier for the last hour or so and that was really nice. I had an aisle seat and stood up for a little bit.
He was fine until we had problems adjusting the straps on the car seat. He started crying and wouldn't stop. My parents pulled over in a parking lot so I could nurse him, but he wouldn't stop crying. He cried for an hour and a half then he finally fell asleep. Every time I tried to put him in my mom's car for the first couple days he would cry and cry.
It took two days for him to get used to everyone. He would be fine and then see me and start crying. It was the first time he had ever cried because he wanted me, not just because he was hungry. He slept with me and did really well the whole time.
I don't know if it was the change in my diet, but he spit up a lot during our trip. One night he was crying and I picked him up and he puked all over me. My sister would bring him back to me saying that he kept spitting up and one time my brother was laying on the floor holding Quentin above him and he puked right on his neck. He hasn't had any problems since we got home so I'm not sure what the problem was.
Another problem I had on our trip was that he grew out of some of his clothes. Since he was in between sizes I brought both 3-6 month and 6-9 month clothes. Right after we arrived it was apparent that the 3-6 month clothes were no longer going to fit. Even some of the 6 month clothes were too small! My dad kept threatening to cut the feet off of his jammies saying that they were too tight on his feet.
Since we didn't have his tub I tried out a few different bathing techniques. The first time I bathed him in the regular tub, but it was too hard to keep his slippery body above water while simultaneously washing him so the next night I bathed him in the sink, but it was too small to be comfortable. On Saturday we went to some garage sales and I found a little bathtub seat for $.25 like the one below. I figured he would really like it but it ended up being too advanced and too small for his chubby little legs. He couldn't sit in it very well and I had a really hard time getting him in and out of it. It's been nice bathing him in his tub again.
Our flight home was much harder since it was during the day and he didn't sleep. He was a little whiny, but he didn't cry. I fed him a few times which gave me a break from having to entertain him. The worst part was when I realized he had a blow out. Luckily the girl sitting next to me had grandparents sitting in the row in front of us and they had an extra seat open that they said we could use if we needed to. I asked the girl if she could sit in the extra seat while I changed him on her seat. I have some bags for dirty diapers I got from my baby shower that are great. I highly recommend getting some. I used them for the diaper and the clothes.
While I was in Wyoming I used the diaper disposable bags I got at the Dollar Tree (75/$1). I had a pail full of dirty diapers in the room I was staying in and you couldn't smell a thing. My mom also found them in Wyoming so they have them all over.
Unfortunately we got home at a really bad time, just as a horrible heat wave came through the area. Our A/C isn't that great and it was 84 degrees plus a lot of humidity in our bedroom. We ended up spending a lot of time at the mall and we actually used our swimming pool when it was overcast. Quentin LOVED it.

Comments