Skip to main content

4 weeks and still here

I finally got out the breast pump today and pumped a whole 1.5 ounces! Hopefully I'll get better at it and my husband can take a feeding now and then. It's hard to find time to do it when I'm feeding him all the time. I could have pumped more, but I had to stop and take care of the baby.

All the days seem to run together and even though I don't leave the house during the day and I don't really get anything done, I'm so busy. Quentin doesn't like to nap in his bed. He'll fall asleep and I'll put him down where he'll sleep for 5-10 minutes before waking up again. The only way I can get him to sleep is holding him.

I bought a Moby Wrap off of Craig's List so I can get somethings done. I still need to master getting it tight enough as he keeps slipping down, but he falls asleep and will stay asleep as long as I have him in it. I highly recommend checking out Craig's List if you want to buy a wrap. I found mine for $10 and it's brand new. The woman only tried it out a couple times. Of course it's orange, which isn't a color I would have chosen myself, but it helps me break out of my black funk and it reminds me of the robes Buddhist Monks wear.

Quentin has been sleeping pretty well. I've been trying to get him on a schedule, but have found that it's much more difficult to get myself on the schedule than him. I have a schedule that I received from a sleep workshop we went to awhile back, but your supposed to start getting them ready for bed at 5 PM and my husband isn't even home by then and he wants to be able to hold him and we need to eat dinner.

He always falls asleep at about 7:30 PM and we try and get him ready at about 9 PM. We sometimes slack at this but doesn't seem to matter much when we wake him up and put him back to sleep. He has been sleeping for about four hours after I put him to bed and then he'll wake up again about 2-3 hours later. According to the schedule I should have him get up at 7:00 AM, but I usually put him back to bed so I can sleep for a couple more hours.

A few nights Q has decided to pull an all nighter. He gets gassy occasionally and we pay for it as he wants to eat all night. He did this Sunday night and it messed up my milk supply. I finally had it about under control and now it's crazy full again. I'm worried about pumping maintaining the oversupply, but I plan on continuing to do it daily so it should be okay.

Today we had a couple wardrobe changes.  First he peed on  his clothes and then he puked all over this new outfit.  He also puked all over me, the couch, and the Boppy pillow.  Luckily I snapped a few pictures of his cute outfit before he threw up all over it.

I'm slowly, but surely getting the hang of this mothering thing.  It's super tiring.  I've read some blogs where new mothers say they are "loving every minute" of parenting.  I can't say that I love EVERY minute of it.  I love my baby every minute, but there many minutes that I don't love, most of them occur at night when I wish I were sleeping.  I REALLY miss sleep, although it's getting better.  It helps that my baby so cute and is such a sweet little guy (especially when he's well fed).

Comments

M said…
Thank you. I am one of those mothers who doesnt love every minute of it. I have come to realize that's ok.

It's a lot of work that isn't very much fun but there are moments that are serendipitous and those make it all worth it.

Popular posts from this blog

labor & delivery

I'm finally getting around to posting my labor and delivery story.  After I got an epidural I wrote down what had happened so far and after the baby was born I wrote down the rest to make sure I remembered everything.  Since it's been two weeks of not a lot sleep and my memory of the event is somewhat drowned out with all the new mommy stuff, I'm just going to type what I wrote. February 21, 2011 - Monday We got up at abut 6 AM after a short night of lots of cramping.  I was hoping to go into labor or at least make some progress, but no luck.  I was still at 1 cm when the doctor measured me at about 8:30 am.  I got the oxytocin and a bulb to open up my cervix at about 8:45 am.   pre-pain, Nurse Lynn At first the contractions were so bad I wanted to cry and then they slowed down and it was more tolerable, but not to the point where I could walk around and I still threw up from the pain.  It got really bad at 1:10 when they gave me the Pitocin. ...

top 10 reasons I love breastfeeding

I have to preface this list with that it is MY list. Not all these things will apply to everyone.  I am aware that some women have a really hard time breastfeeding, some stick with it and some don't and they would have their own lists of why they like it or not.   Quentin and I have had a really easy time with it for whatever reason.  It's not because of anything I've done.  I do believe it is something all new moms should try.  Not like you tried it once and it didn't work out, but really truly try and get help from a lactation consultant if you need to.  It's totally worth it if you can get it to work for you.  If you decide not to for whatever reason I won't judge you.  I was bottle fed myself and I turned out just fine. 10. Bigger boobs.  I've always had really small breasts and have worn padded bras pretty much since puberty and kids made fun of small cup size.  I like how breastfeeding has made me more proportional a...

breastfeeding & weaning

Quentin has started walking!  Everyday he becomes more and more confident and walks more and more.  He's at about 50% crawling, 50% walking now.  My parents are in town and my mom commented how stable he is for just starting out. I can't really compare him to other kids since I only have the one.  I think he was just waiting until he felt completely confident. He has been eating a lot better lately.  He even ate some tilapia a couple times, but it had to be off of other people's plates for some reason.  I also started feeding him baby food again, which he gladly eats.  He likes it and it's healthy for him so I see no reason to force him to eat other food.  If he's 14 and still wants to eat baby food I guess that will be ok (he definitely wouldn't be overweight), but my guess is that he probably will give in to peer pressure before that happens. Last week he didn't want to take any morning naps, but this week he's been much more interested...