Pregnancy has gotten a little more uncomfortable this last week, my last week of my second trimester, I guess it's only fitting. I have the most difficulty getting to and from work, otherwise I'm usually sitting or laying down a lot so I don't have any problems when I'm at home or at work. I end up standing a lot on the metro because people here are awesome (I'm really hoping the people in New Mexico are nicer) so my ankles and legs swell and my balance is not great. I try to position myself on the platform so that I can get in a less crowded car, but it's not always possible to get a seat.
Then walking to and from the metro from work is getting really hard. I'm used to speed walking and walking up and down the escalators and it drives me crazy to go so slow, but every time I walk even a normal pace my stomach hurts, I get out of breath, and occasionally get side cramps as though I was trying to run a marathon. My belly feels like I've been pushing it out for an extended period of time and I wish it would go back in. Maybe my lungs expand too much or something, I'm not sure why it's only when I'm walking it does this.
Last night was by far my worst commuting experience since my first trimester. It was painful getting to the metro and even though I was able to snag a seat I wasn't feeling great on the ride to the bus stop. Looking back I think I was too hot, even though I didn't have my coat on. I must have jumped up too quickly to get off the metro and then walking up the stairs might not have been a good idea because by the time I got to the exit I felt whoosie and the familiar black cloud started covering my sight and bead of sweat covered my brow. I felt like I was going to pass out so I went over to an open area and sat on the floor next to a railing. It was much cooler since the air from outside was coming down the big escalator. I waited until I felt well enough to make it to the bus stop where I waited on a bench and felt a little nauseous. Luckily, I was able to get on a bus that wasn't crowded after a bit of a wait and I made it home ok.
This really freaked me out and I read up on passing out during your second trimester and stomach pains. It seems like it's pretty normal as the baby is growing and your body is stretching and it wasn't painful to the point of crying or anything. Plus I was diagnosed with anemia so that doesn't help, although I have been taking the additional supplement everyday that the doctor recommended. It's recommended that you take it easy. I feel like I already take it pretty easy for the most part of the day and since I take this journey to and from work twice every day it shouldn't be a big deal. I have my doctor's appointment on Monday morning and Beanie has still been kicking occasionally (he passed the 10 kicks in 2 hours test).
This morning I stayed home an extra two hours and rested and took it super slow getting in, although the walking was still a little painful. It was nice because there was hardly anyone on the bus/metro. I figure if I lived in say Wyoming this wouldn't really be an issue since I would drive everywhere and if I did walk, it would be a nice slow leisurely stroll around Wal-Mart. My husband is going to pick me up from work today since his class was cancelled tonight so that will be nice. I'm not sure what a long term solution will be, or if it will last very long, maybe I won't have to worry about it much longer. If it continues like this, this third trimester is going to be a doosy. I'm sure it will only get worse from here.
Comments
I hope you feel better. It was hard for me too. I ended up teleworking a month before I was due bc of the walking. I was so swollen and the week before I splurged and drove to work. You think teleworking is an option for you? I bet your doctor would write you a letter...mine did and I got approved. Hope you are feeling better!