I started looking into the classes that the hospital offers and found four that I want to take. I signed up for the earliest hospital tour that fits into our schedule, which is in early November. Since my husband is starting school today and will be going to class in the evenings it makes it a little harder. The other classes are Baby Care, Breastfeeding, and Childbirth Preparation. The first two cost $60 each and the last one is four classes so it's $140. I haven't signed up for them yet because I'm not sure when I should start taking classes. I want to wait so the information is fresh in my mind, but they don't offer classes during the holidays and the 2011 schedule isn't up yet so I'm waiting a month or two before putting down the cash.
We were watching a pretty boring library video of a bunch of experts answering questions from trying to conceive to circumcision and one woman said you should start the childbirth preparation classes around weeks 32-34. That would be Christmas to New Years for me. The only class they have so far on the schedule runs mid-November to mid-December right during my husband's finals so not ideal. I've decided to wait and then ask about any classes in January. If there isn't any then I guess we'll have to consider the November class.
There is also a Childbirth Express class which is half the time of the regular one and excludes a lot of the practicing. I would really like to practice the breathing techniques as much as possible. I realize that there is always something that could go not according to plan and the time up until the epidural is probably painful as well :) Then there's always the possibility that I'll change my mind about the whole epidural thing (doubtful). In any case, I'd like to be prepared.
I'm excited about the classes and feel like I'll be a little more prepared with the childcare and breastfeeding classes. There is also a lactation consultant at the hospital so it seems like they are pretty supportive of breastfeeding. Plus my mom will be coming out to help me and she's very familiar with the subject so I feel like I will at least have the information and support I need to take a go at it. Lots of girls I know who just had babies have said that it was much harder than expected so I'm assuming it will be difficult and trying to be prepared to deal with any problems that will arise.
Comments
Ramblings of a Small Town Girl