Skip to main content

we're pregnant! ahhh!

Yesterday morning I took 2 pregnancy tests and another one in the evening. All were positive! We're pretty much still in shock.


We had planned on sending bibs to our parents with a little note to announce the news, but we couldn't wait and ended up calling all our immediate family on the way to PF Chang's where we had a celebratory dinner. It really made it all more real when we heard how excited they all were.


We were hoping to get pregnant. I was on birth control from April 2008 until May 6, 2010, so we didn't think it would happen so soon (we hoped it would, but wanted to keep our expectations low). I started my period on May 10 and we calculated that I would be ovulating the week of May 24 and it seems that indeed we did get pregnant that week. I took a pregnancy test on June 6th and it was negative. We were bummed, but figured we would just try again next month. I was positive that I was going to start my period and when I started bleeding on June 9 I figured that's what it was, but then I didn't bleed again after that. I was worried. If I wasn't pregnant then there was something wrong with me.

Friday I decided that since I still hadn't had any blood I would take another pregnancy on Saturday before my husband left for work at 6 AM. We took one of those $.99 ones and the 2nd line was super light, we could barely see it, so he dropped me off at Harris Teeter on his way to work and I got a more expensive one. I waited until he could be there via the phone and I took another one, which was definitely positive. Since 2 came in the packet my husband insisted that I take another test when he came home to verify before we told anyone.

Now we know that the spotting was the embryo attaching to the uterus and it usually happens at the end of the 3rd week. I am right on schedule! It's funny because my mom had a similar experience. I had an ovarian cyst earlier and she said that she did right before she got pregnant with my brother. She had just gotten off the pill, like me, and she had a false negative the first time she tested too. Crazy!

I've had a cold for the last week so I attributed my sleepless nights and overall tiredness to that. I have been super emotional. Watching tv I tear up all the time. If it's sad or if it's something good, I just can't help it. When we were at the Memorial Day Wreath Laying Ceremony I started tearing up because I thought the sign language interpretation of the songs were so beautiful. Sign language really gets me.

Today I was talking to my friend and she was talking about how when she was pregnant she would cry at commercials. I so wanted to tell her that I do the same thing, but we've decided not to tell anyone except our families for a bit. I can't wait to talk to all the other pregnant women at church and hear their experiences and tell them mine. This waiting is the worst.

I had already scheduled my annual ob/gyn appointment for this Wednesday. I wanted to talk to her about things I should do to get ready to get pregnant, but it seems that I'll now be talking about being pregnant. I hear that most women don't have their first appointment with their doctor until 8 wks, and so I'm sure we won't have a formal pregnancy appointment, but I'd really like to have the blood test confirmation. We'll see how it goes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

labor & delivery

I'm finally getting around to posting my labor and delivery story.  After I got an epidural I wrote down what had happened so far and after the baby was born I wrote down the rest to make sure I remembered everything.  Since it's been two weeks of not a lot sleep and my memory of the event is somewhat drowned out with all the new mommy stuff, I'm just going to type what I wrote. February 21, 2011 - Monday We got up at abut 6 AM after a short night of lots of cramping.  I was hoping to go into labor or at least make some progress, but no luck.  I was still at 1 cm when the doctor measured me at about 8:30 am.  I got the oxytocin and a bulb to open up my cervix at about 8:45 am.   pre-pain, Nurse Lynn At first the contractions were so bad I wanted to cry and then they slowed down and it was more tolerable, but not to the point where I could walk around and I still threw up from the pain.  It got really bad at 1:10 when they gave me the Pitocin. ...

top 10 reasons I love breastfeeding

I have to preface this list with that it is MY list. Not all these things will apply to everyone.  I am aware that some women have a really hard time breastfeeding, some stick with it and some don't and they would have their own lists of why they like it or not.   Quentin and I have had a really easy time with it for whatever reason.  It's not because of anything I've done.  I do believe it is something all new moms should try.  Not like you tried it once and it didn't work out, but really truly try and get help from a lactation consultant if you need to.  It's totally worth it if you can get it to work for you.  If you decide not to for whatever reason I won't judge you.  I was bottle fed myself and I turned out just fine. 10. Bigger boobs.  I've always had really small breasts and have worn padded bras pretty much since puberty and kids made fun of small cup size.  I like how breastfeeding has made me more proportional a...

breastfeeding & weaning

Quentin has started walking!  Everyday he becomes more and more confident and walks more and more.  He's at about 50% crawling, 50% walking now.  My parents are in town and my mom commented how stable he is for just starting out. I can't really compare him to other kids since I only have the one.  I think he was just waiting until he felt completely confident. He has been eating a lot better lately.  He even ate some tilapia a couple times, but it had to be off of other people's plates for some reason.  I also started feeding him baby food again, which he gladly eats.  He likes it and it's healthy for him so I see no reason to force him to eat other food.  If he's 14 and still wants to eat baby food I guess that will be ok (he definitely wouldn't be overweight), but my guess is that he probably will give in to peer pressure before that happens. Last week he didn't want to take any morning naps, but this week he's been much more interested...